Minimum eligibility criteria
- A Bachelor’s or equivalent undergraduate degree (at least 180 ECTS) from an accredited university, in computer science, software engineering or equivalent subject.
- Good command of English language: TOEFL iBT (minimum score 93) or IELTS Academic (minimum score 6,5 with no individual score under 6).
- Degree requirements
EDISS requires knowledge of basic computer science, software engineering, and applied mathematics. The student should be able to solve basic computer science problems, to build a given software artefact (e.g., a requirements model, a design model), to improve and fix a given design.
The student should be eager to learn new technologies and methods, instead of only working with technologies or methods they have prior knowledge of, and capable of sharing and producing knowledge in a team.
Applicants must have a Bachelor’s or equivalent undergraduate degree (at least 180 ECTS) from an accredited university in computer science, software engineering or equivalent subject. The applicant is expected to have passed courses in several of these areas: computer science (e.g., programming, algorithms and data structures), basic computer architecture, computer networks, software engineering and mathematics.
If proof of qualification is not available at the time of application, students will be conditionally admitted, and they are required to submit the required degree certificate and transcript of academic records and their translations by July 30th, 2021 at 15:00 (Helsinki time, GMT +2) to finalize the admission procedure. The applicants should also inform the EDISS consortium the expected graduation date already in the application form.
2. Language requirements
All applicants must have good English language proficiency. The English language proficiency must be proved by
- TOEFL (iBT) test: minimum score 93
- IELTS (Academic) test: minimum score 6,5 (with no individual score below 6)
The TOEFL reporting code for Åbo Akademi University is 9880. For IELTS, when possible, choose Åbo Akademi University for results to be sent and confirmed. The test results must be valid and verifiable at the test organizer at least 14 days after the end of the application period. Please note that no other tests, or versions of the above-mentioned tests (e.g. Home edition), will be approved to demonstrate the English language proficiency.
The English language test is NOT required from applicants that have received their secondary education in English, or have completed a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree with English as the language of instruction (and mentioned in the diploma), in a university or university level institution in one of the following countries:
- New Zealand
- the United Kingdom
- the United States
- an EU/EEA country or
Note that to be exempted to provide an English language test score, your degree certificate must mention English as the language of instruction, and your degree programme must be completed in one of the countries listed above. Degrees completed as distance education or studies on an offshore campus are not accepted even though the degree would be issued by a university in of the countries above.
We require the following scanned enclosures (in color and pdf format) attached to the online application:
- An officially certified or legalized scanned copy of the original Bachelor’s degree certificate in the original language AND an authorized translation of the original degree certificate in English *
- An officially certified or legalized scanned copy of the original transcript of records in the original language of all the higher education studies completed so far AND an authorized translation of the transcript of records in English
- A diploma supplement (if available)
- Proof of language skills in English (TOEFL iBT / IELTS Academic, or certificate of exception)
- Copy of passport
- A certificate of residence**
- Curriculum vitae (CV), preferably using the Europass CV format
- Two academic recommendation letters***
- Video (2 min +/- 30 seconds)****
- Copies of relevant work certificates, publications, or other relevant activities (if available)
Note that you have to follow country-specific requirements when attaching the enclosures.
* In case the applicant has not yet received a Bachelor’s degree certificate by the admission deadline, the applicant is asked to provide a statement indicating what courses are still missing from the degree and what is the expected date of graduation. This statement replaces the degree certificate during the application process. However, the applicant must submit the actual degree certificate by email the latest on the July 30th, at 15:00 (Finnish time).
** The place of residence should be verified on the basis of the provision of the documents listed on the PRADO website. The place of residence can be verified for example by:
- a residence certificate issued in accordance with the candidate’s municipality normal registration rules;
- a certificate from the candidate’s place of work, study or training issued by the employer or institution in question.
In absence of such documents, alternatives such as renting contracts, phone and electricity bills can be provided.
The submitted document used to prove the place of residence must have been issued within the 12 months prior to the submission deadline of applying and it must include the current address of the applicant.
Please note that you have to provide an official English translation of the document that you use for verifying the place of residence, in case the information is not in English on the document. An official translation (in English) must be one of the following:
- issued by the awarding institution
- an officially certified copy of a translation issued by the awarding institution
- translated by an official translator
- an officially certified copy of a translation made by an official translator
Each page of an official translation must bear the translator’s stamp and/or signature. Official translations must be exact translations of the original documents. An applicant’s own translations are not accepted.
*** Recommendation letters must contain a signature, and preferably an official university letter head and a university stamp.
**** The video should answer the question “What is your main motivation to apply for the EDISS programme and why should you be chosen to the programme?” The video is the only attachment that should not follow the requirement of a pdf format. We accept the most common video formats such as mp4, mpeg, ogg, mov.
In addition, and as a part of the admission requirements, in the online application form you will be required to answer questions regarding your motivation and previous experiences that are relevant for the EDISS programme. The answers need to follow a given length (the max. number of characters is indicated in the form).
This page contains preliminary information and is subject to change until the signature of the EDISS consortium agreement.
Last updated on 22 February 2021